“Zion Lutheran Church exists to share Jesus with those who don’t know Him as their Lord and Savior and to nurture believers with Christ’s teachings.”
Senior Pastor: Rev. Aaron Flatau
Cell – 515-890-7558
Church Secretary: Bev Zinnel
Office Phone - 515-332-3279
Preschool Teacher: Barb Zabel
Preschool Teacher Assistant: Laura Schaffer
Custodian: Denny Vaudt
Organists: Kerry Burmeister, Gerry Christensen, Joyce Thompson
Organists: Nancy Blair
The German Evangelical Lutheran Zion Congregation was organized on October 19, 1884, with 25 charter members. Rev. August Hemann of Deer Creek Township was the pastor at this time. The unorganized congregation was served by five pastors, the first being the Rev. Theodore Mertens arriving by horseback to minister to the needs of the early settlers in Beaver Township in 1871.
Since its organization in 1884, Zion has been faithfully served by eleven pastors. They are: J.H. Schnitker, Conrad Born, Max Friedrich, G.E. Mensing, Elmer Strelow, Larry Kudart, Robert Snyder, Dennis Grohn, Wayne Knolhoff and Rev. Richard Merrill. We are currently being served by the Rev. Jerry K. Raether and Rev. Aaron G. Flatau.
The following are a few interesting bits of information taken from the minutes of the voters assembly.
The cemetery was begun in 1888 and the frame church was dedicated on May 28, 1889. In 1894 the first resident pastor, Rev. J.H. Schnitker, was installed.
The bell that we are still using today was donated by Mr. & Mrs. C.F. Flemming in 1902.
1926 - February - "motion made to build new church" (this would be the brick church in Beaver iwp.). The brick church was dedicated on September 12, 1926.
1930 - The Sunday school was started and that was also the year that Zion joined the Missouri Synod.
1940 - German services were discontinued in 1940.
1966 - October - "resolved by a vote of 34-10 that we build new town church facilities and the Board select the necessary committees."
1967 - December 23 - PFC Herbert O. Zinnel, JR. was killed at Quang Nam, Vietnam. He had been in Vietnam three days.
1968 - May 2 - groundbreaking at 2 p.m. December 29 valedictory services were held at the Taft Street and Beaver Twp. locations.
1969 - January 12 - Dedication of the First Unit, Educational Unit, Fellowship Hall, and Bell tower.
1969 - February 27 - opening of the cornerstone of brick country church - contents were: two nickels and two pennies, 1925 issue of "Iowa District News", "Der Lutheraner" dated April 1926; "The Lutheran Witness" of April the same year, and a copy of the "Humboldt Republican.” Also a short history of the church and the names of the Voters Assembly were in the box. Zion's white frame church was without a bell until 1902. The bronze bell was
removed in 1926 and placed in the new brick church in Beaver Township. It remained there until early in 1969 when the church was being dismantled. On Easter Sunday, April 6, 1969, it was
rung again for the worship services at the new church in north Humboldt.
Construction on the sanctuary was begun in the spring of 1971. The cornerstone laying was held on April 25, 1971 and dedication of Zion Lutheran was held on August 15, 1971.
1983 - In April, stained glass windows were installed in the Sanctuary.
1984 - Centennial services were held on June 24 and October 21,1984.
1985 - October - "recommend that Zion apply for a vicar to assist. The voters then moved to apply for a vicar to come this coming summer."
1986 - July - Zion's first vicar, AI Lanigan arrived.
Zion was served by four more vicars, they being: Jon Salminen, now serving Epiphany, Pearland, TX; Don Wagner, Christ, Elbow Lake, MN; Tom Phillips, Zion, New Holland, IL and Christ Deaf, Jacksonville, IL; and Mike Hafer, Holy Cross, College Station, TX.
1988 - November - "to employ a full-time secretary."
1989 - September - "Report of building committee as to the short and long range needs of the building." Project tabled until a future time.
1989 - December 2 - The first "Gemutlichkeit Fest" (a relaxing good time) was held. Muriel Lerdal, Marilyn Kuehnast, Rosemary Diedrick and Diane Swanson served as co-chairs.
1998 - On October 6, 1998 a kitchen remodeling committee met to discuss this project. Following discussions, plans were drawn up, and at cottage meetings during the months of March and Aprif, 1999, these plans were presented and feedback was received from the
congregation. Following those meetings, the committee reworked the plans to more fully meet what the congregation felt our needs were. Namely; more classroom space.
At the October 9th, 2000 voters meeting, the congregation voted to proceed with the new addition.
2001 - June 3 - Prep work began. Zion acted as our own contractor for this project. Laborers for CHRIST also helped in this capacity. The LFC crew leaders, Darwin &. Vangie Krueger, arrived June 18th and the remainder of the. LFC crew arrived on July 9th• During their time with Zion,
the Laborers put in approximately 3,200 hours and Zion members volunteered over 2,800 hours labor.
2001 - November 11 - Dedication of the New Addition and Sound System was held during the morning worship service. Following the noon meal, the Service continued with the "Uncovering of the Cornerstone for the new addition."
The Evangelism Committee hosted an "Open House", for the community.
Rev. Richard Merrill accepted a call to St. John Lutheran Church in Charter Oak, Iowa, with his farewell service on Sunday, March 6, 2005.
Zion congregation was blessed with many gifts and contributions, enabling us to burn the mortgage for the new addition on June 10, 2007.Zion placed a call to the St. Louis Seminary for an assistant pastor. Rev. Aaron G. Flatau was ordained and installed as Assistant Pastor of Zion on Sunday, July 8,2007.